This position can be based out of either Reading-PA, Beachwood-OH, Corona-CA or Dearborn-MI
The Operations Supervisor - International supports all aspects of a freight forwarding operation to include the safe, efficient and cost effective transportation of goods (via shipping lines, airlines, road and rail freight operators) keeping in consideration the type of goods and customer delivery requirements. Key responsibilities include monitoring all operational activity to guarantee successful performance of the operations and customer service (order entry, load planning, and load monitoring). Must have ability to supervise other associates as needed, as well as strong customer interaction and communication skills.
• Provide detailed instruction to various personnel via email and phone.
• Act as first level escalation for customer inquires
• Assist in new customer implementations
• Prioritize time sensitive situations
• Work with team in scheduling deliveries to receivers and providing excellent customer service
• Track shipments to ensure on time delivery is met, providing relevant current knowledge of routing, packaging, legislation, and other factors that could impact freight movement.
• Handle rate negotiations with carriers on a spot rate basis
• Analyze process data and work on continuous improvements
• Identifying cost savings opportunities for the customer
• Ensuring all business needs are covered including when there are vacations, illness, etc.
• Other projects as assigned by the manager
• 1 - 5 years of experience in the logistics / supply chain industry with dedicated experience on air/ocean import/export.
• Prefer air export experience and dangerous goods certified for IATA application.
• Knowledge of domestic and international transportation regulations, policies and procedures required.
• Bachelor's degree strongly preferred
• Previous experience in a supervisory role, with ability to lead and develop other associates as needed
• Must have strong attention to detail and effective communications skills
• Strong customer focus
• Must be skilled in Problem Solving / Process Improvement.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize time sensitive situations
• Advanced desktop computer skills including Microsoft Excel and Outlook required, must also be able to learn and regularly operate various computer systems across different platforms
• Ability to develop and maintain professional working relationships with customers as well as Penske personnel
• Team player with flexibility in working different shifts
• Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
• Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Penske Logistics
Headquartered in Reading, Pa., Penske Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Truck Leasing. With operations in North America, South America, Europe and Asia, Penske Logistics provides supply chain management and logistics services to leading companies throughout the world. Penske Logistics delivers value through design, planning and execution in transportation, warehousing, and international freight forwarding and carrier management. Visit www.PenskeLogistics.com to learn more.