Penske Logistics is seeking full-time paid Interns to join our Northeast Region team in the Summer of 2021!
The foundation for succeeding in business, whatever path you choose, is right here at Penske. You'll move lives and businesses forward. In our Internship Program, you'll collaborate with smart, ambitious colleagues. You'll grow far beyond the basics because we give you the independence to find innovative new ways to solve problems and make important business decisions. So take charge, and move forward.
Interns will work with Penske management mentors on special projects involving numerous areas of logistics management: cost savings, sourcing, freight management, value stream mapping and waste time reductions. Studies will be ad hoc, both independent and partnered, and assigned based on timing of internship. Interns can expect to learn basic areas of logistics management, while participating in granular areas of identified focus. The intern will rotate through departments gaining hands on experience and knowledge in each of the responsibilities listed below.
This position will provide you with:
• Hands on Experience - your time to shine! Apply the skills you have developed at school in a real setting
• A valuable role interacting with key members of one of today's leading global transportation providers
• Opportunity for career advancement upon graduation
• Competitive Compensation
This opportunity is a full-time (40 hrs. per week), generally Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for approximately 12 weeks (within the months of May/June through August). However, you may work other schedules / shifts to incorporate additional learning opportunities. Eligible candidates must be full time College students entering their Junior or Senior Year Fall of 2021.
This is a twelve-week program will include partnership with a Mentor and training / involvement will include, but not limited to:
• A minimum of five one-day site visits to various Penske Logistics locations in the Northeast to observe operations.
• Module will be created for you to follow
• Presentation to the leadership team to share: feedback, experience, etc.
• Communicate performance standards that are specific and measurable, monitor attendance, productivity and other performance markers and provide counseling and /or recognition to associates as needed.
• Evaluate and recommend changes in preferred work methods to increase productivity of dispatch/warehouse operations.
• Provide relief coverage for operational duties when associates utilize time-off or are absent from the shift.
• Have a working knowledge of the site's operating systems in order to ensure operational compliance and correct exception resolution.
• Complete all necessary records and reports in a timely and accurate fashion.
• Ensure compliance with financial policies and procedures such as inventory accuracy and control, returns, damages, etc.
• Understand the relationship between decision-making and profitability.
• Ensure day-to-day management and associate activities are in alignment with the location safety strategy.
• Provide associates with communication, training, feedback and direction to ensure safe performance.
• Ensure compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies and company policies and procedures.
• Understand the location-specific customer goals & objectives.
• Determine areas that could benefit from Continuous Improvement efforts.
• Properly plan work assignments to ensure effective use of fleet/warehouse equipment.
• Students must be currently pursuing a degree in Supply Chain Management / Logistics, Operations Management, Industrial Engineering or Business Management.
• Completion of some core curriculum classes preferred
• GPA of 3.0 or higher
• High School diploma required
• Basic computer skills including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint required
• Ability to learn and use proprietary software required
• Flexible to rotate through different shifts to gain the most experience and exposure to this role
• Ability to work in non-climate controlled conditions
• Ability to lead a small team, ability to work independently, multi-tasking skills, organizational skills, flexibility, time management, and ability to execute are required
• Experience in the service industry and/or strong customer service a plus
• Strong analytical skills
• Strong communication skills, both written and oral
• Ability to interface professionally with all levels in the organization
• Solid understanding of time management and the ability to multi-task
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be
able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
About Penske Logistics
Penske Logistics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Truck Leasing. With operations in North America, South America, Europe and Asia, Penske Logistics provides supply chain management and logistics services to leading companies around the world. Penske Logistics delivers value through its design, planning and execution in transportation, warehousing and freight management. Visit www.PenskeLogistics.com to learn more.