Your Career Begins at Timken
If you're ready for a challenging career that provides you with the ability to advance personally and professionally, look to Timken. Our associates make the world more productive by improving the efficiency and reliability of the machinery that keeps industry in motion.
Position Summary: Perform a variety of punching, piercing, notching, forming, and similar press operations on a variety of metal parts. Setups exacting and at times somewhat difficult, involving the use of progressive, complicated forming dies.
Essential Job Duties:
- Select die sets or punch and die members for specified job and remove or insert removable sections as necessary for individual job requirements. Place die set or members in press and align as necessary. Bolt or clamp dies in place on bed and in ram. Determine and set ram stroke, adjust air or mechanical knockout devices; check setup of all bolts and clamps.
- Adjust all safety devices furnished.
- Follow detailed instructions as to method of loading and operating press.
- Check work quality by tote pan to maintain tolerance. Work is repetitive. Most setups and adjustments are made by operator. Individual judgment is required in checking work. Also required is reading of blueprints and use of gauges.
- Detect faulty operation of equipment or defective material and refer unusual conditions or operating difficulties to supervisor.
- Read dispatch list, fill out route card, and keep aware of next operation for each part. Call for parts tub.
- Prepare and clean-up work area.
- Regularly monitor operation of automatic presses and halt operations if necessary, to avoid serious damage to tool and press.
- Requires operator to continuously operate machines working with average to heavy weight material.
- Must be knowledgeable in and practice all safety procedures.
- Responsible for quality: Accept training in blueprint reading, use of gauges and measuring tools common to manufacturing, along with related SPC principles and other quality control procedures.
- Perform these and other related duties as required or as directed.
Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); one year certificate from college or technical school desired, or the equivalent of three to six months related experience and/or training.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and complete necessary production forms. Ability to speak effectively with fellow employees and/or customers.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, schedule, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables; problem solving ability.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, use hands/arms. The employee is regularly required to talk, hear at conversational level, and smell. The employee is occasionally required to walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift/move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift/move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift/move up to 50 pounds. Moving/lifting greater than 50 pounds requires assistance from another employee or a lifting device/hoist. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Required Personal Protective Equipment: Employee is required to wear proper safety eyewear, hearing protection, and steel-toed shoes at all times while on the plant floor.
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.