First Student is now hiring a Gas and Diesel Mechanic for our shop serving Pinebush School District!
Up to $30 /hour and a $2,500 sign-on bonus*!
First thingsFirst: Who are we?-
Twice the size of our next largest competitor,-First Student-is the leading school transportation solutions provider in North America. Every day, we complete 5 million student journeys, moving more passengers than all U.S. airlines combined. With a team of highly trained drivers and the industry's strongest safety record, First Student delivers reliable, quality services to 1,100 school districts.
Why join First as a Gas and Diesel Mechanic?
- $28 - $30 / hour based on experience and qualifications (NOT flat-rate)
- An additional $.10 per hour for each ASE certification you possess or obtain
- Company-paid ASE testing and training materials
- Monday-Friday 6:00 AM to 2:30 PM or 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM full-time shift schedule and consistent, year-round work
- Tremendous career advancement opportunities
- Benefits include medical, dental, vision, & 401(k)
- Paid holidays & vacation
- Annual allowances for boots and prescription safety glasses
- State-of-the-art training programs
- Discounts on cell phone plans, cars, and more through the Perk Spot program!
About the Diesel Mechanic Position
As a Diesel Mechanic with First Student, you will help maintain and repair our brand new fleet of Thomas Type C diesel and Thomas Type A gasoline school buses to ensure vehicle readiness & safety while providing guidance to lower-level technicians. Other major job duties include:
- Lead preventative maintenance (PMs), safety inspections, and annual DOT maintenance inspections.
- Diagnose and perform all phases of vehicle and equipment repair, including brakes, suspensions, drivetrains, & transmissions.
- Ensure work orders are completed accurately.
- Assist with mobile emergency services.
Diesel Technician Qualifications
- Valid driver's license required; Willingness to obtain CDL while employed – We train!
- At least 5 years of automotive or diesel maintenance & repair experience or technical school education
- Possess a mechanic's tool set
- Willingness to participate in ASE certification program. Training, testing, and bonuses are provided!
- Subject to DOT drug testing and physical. DOT Regulation 49 CFR Part 40 does not authorize the use of Schedule I drugs, including marijuana, for any reason.
Get your career on the road with First Student!
*conditions apply; offer expires 10/31/2023
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.