What Timken makes possible begins with you.
Those who came before us helped land a man on the moon, create the world's infrastructure, and introduce renewable energy alternatives. Now you can join the Timken team to write your own unique story and help drive what's next.
A career at Timken means you can have an immediate impact doing Work That Matters to the worldó improving the efficiency of today's industrial equipment and preparing for the future of motion on our planet and beyond. New employees can start contributing right away, and there are many opportunities to advance your career at your own pace. Join our global team of 19,000 people in 46 countries, and start helping our customers push the limits of what's possible in their world of motion.
Position Summary: The Department Manager is responsible for managing the overall manufacturing process from component to finished assembly for their assigned Dept (s). This position provides leadership and direction to operations leaders and associates in a multi-zoned, multi-shift department to meet customer demand. The position drives strategies for improvement in the areas of safety, quality, productivity, delivery, and cost through extensive continuous improvement manufacturing process knowledge. The Department Manager accomplishes these goals via the leadership and direction of supervisory, production support, team leader associates, and operative associates in their work area. The Department Manager works closely with leaders providing growth and support in communication with and motivating/leading people in a positive culture fostering the right environment for positive success at all levels building teamwork and maintaining team relations through professional challenges and educating associates.
Essential Job Duties:
- Responsible for overall flow of the manufacturing process from component to complete chain/auger for product lines and identify and address Key concerns that may alter or impact production schedule(s).
- Develop, implement, and execute advanced equipment and manning capacity models to ensure demand swings are met.
- Responsible for the development, planning and execution against KPIs (safety, quality, cost, delivery, productivity, and morale), as well as Takt production plan, and annual cost center budget.
- Drive safety initiatives and strategy for area of responsibility and implement improvement plans. Ensure ongoing operator safety and a safe work environment by promptly addressing safety hazards, minimizing workplace accidents, and proactively involving associates in the continuous improvement of safety.
- Communicate regularly with direct and indirect reports regarding customer production requirements and key issues effecting delivery.
- Identify opportunities for cost savings through lean practices. Demonstrate the responsibilities of a lean leader and drive a lean culture in the facility. Ensure associates are engaged and are participating in continuous improvement efforts.
- Facilitate the Talent Management Process to create high-performing teams and a pipeline of ready leadership. Lead goal setting, coaching, counseling, mentoring, and career development processes with associates.
- Identify training and needs and create a training strategy to meet customer expectations.
- Ensure compliance with and communication of company policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate Timken's core values and lead by example.
- Planning function to meet production and demand plans.
- Develop a formal TPM (Total Preventative Maintenance) program for the equipment in this area and monitor adherence to the TPM plan.
- Develop and update Work Instructions for the lines you are responsible for.
- Responsible for keeping your lines running within Timken standards, for any/all audits, and within OSHA standards.
- Interview and help recruit top talent.
- Strong leadership, critical thinking, analytical skills, and communication skills (verbal & written)
- Prior manufacturing management experience
- Experience developing equipment and manning capacity models
- Strong systemic-thinking and advanced problem-solving skills
- Continuous Improvement/Cost Reduction experience or Lean certification
- Production or materials planning experience
- Skilled in Microsoft Office suite
- Strong leadership and decision-making abilities
- Strong working knowledge of MRP and ERP systems
- Planning and capacity modeling experience
- Demonstrated skills in teaching, coaching, and training
- Strong knowledge of lean basics
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Manufacturing, Business Administration, or equivalent experience. A minimum of 3-5 years in Operations leadership experience required. High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and complete necessary production forms. Ability to speak effectively with fellow employees and/or customers.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, schedule, or diagram form. Ability to deal with and solve problems involving several sometimes complex variables.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, use hands/arms. The employee is regularly required to talk, hear at conversational level, and smell. The employee is occasionally required to walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift/move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift/move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift/move up to 50 pounds. Moving/lifting greater than 50 pounds requires assistance from another employee or a lifting device/hoist. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Required Personal Protective Equipment
Employee is required to wear proper safety eyewear, hearing protection, and steel-toed shoes at all times while on the plant floor.
The Timken Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All associates and applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences, and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status, or any other basis protected by applicable law. For additional information please visit our website Timken Careers
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.