Your Career Begins at Timken
Looking for a career where you can do work that matters? At Timken, we improve the reliability and efficiency of global machinery in markets like automation, food and beverage and renewable energy — advancing sustainable solutions to the world's most challenging problems. Program participants will make immediate, meaningful contributions, collaborate with global teams, and have access to individualized career development and advancement opportunities — all within a values-driven, inclusive culture. Join our global team of 19,000 people in 46 countries and help us move the world forward.
The position of Principal Sales Engineer is based in the upper mid-west region, preferably, the greater Denver, CO area. This person will work from a home office. This position supports Timken's Aerospace OE Engineered Bearing business. The position will manage all commercial activities with assigned customers while working cross functionally to sustain and grow sales. The position is the key to maintaining customer relationships and satisfaction while driving business growth. The successful candidate will:
- Have a proven track record in complete customer management throughout the product lifecycle, development of commercial/TINA (Truth in Negotiations Act) proposals, working as a team to develop and execute customer growth strategies, and nurture and strengthen critical customer relationships throughout all organizational levels and functions.
- Leverage strong commercial and technical skills and industry experience to recognize customer needs and apply Timken capabilities and technology across the full portfolio of Timken products and services.
- Understand and leverage the Timken value proposition, which includes providing value through engineered solutions, to maximize price and sales to grow and protect business.
- Communicate the value of Timken products while eliminating price as an objection when delivering new products or projects.
- Demonstrate leadership skills by influencing, driving for results, and resource commitment.
- Provides customer expertise including leading customer negotiations, developing pricing strategies, and managing a portfolio of business accounts.
- Own the customer's experience: from initial contact, through the process of engagement, and into a long-term relationship while finding more-effective ways to collaborate across functions and levels during this end-to-end journey.
- Manage sales process for assigned customer accounts or territory.
- Work with peer groups to ensure that the needs of the customer are being met or exceeded, flow down of customer requirements is timely and accurate, and the Voice of the Customer is communicated and drives the internal organization's behavior.
- Foster positive customer and internal relationships to resolve difficult issues, and regularly multi-task fluctuating priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Optimize and successfully manage call plan to ensure calls are high value and efficiently outperform our competition.
- Deliver high-impact customer presentations that focus on Timken capabilities, solutions, and value proposition.
- Work with Customer Engineering on complex system analyses, including bearing selection on non-standard part number or types.
- Utilize CRM to develop customer-based sales plan including sales, won/lost business, plans to maximize pricing, new business attainment, and opportunity pipeline.
- Actively gather and submit customer and market knowledge into monthly demand planning process.
- Extensive background in working with customers and developing long-term customer relationships and partnerships.
- Experience utilizing a CRM system.
- Must be an independent thinker capable of working alone as well as within a team.
- Ability to multi-task, self-assign work, and function in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Analytical skills and disciplines in support of business planning, strategy development and deployment, customer relationship management and conflict resolution.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including the ability to formulate, manipulate, and analyze data within Excel to aid in the development of solid business decisions. Strong aptitude in both PowerPoint and Word applications to develop executive-level communications.
- Successful history in identifying, targeting, negotiating, and winning profitable business; demonstrated ability to manage large, complex aerospace proposals and contracts.
- Ability to coordinate the activities of various internal company stakeholders to ensure customer proposals are compliant and compelling and business cases are profitable; programs are executed on-budget and schedule; root cause analysis and corrective actions are implemented to address quality and delivery issues; and customer responsiveness is timely, courteous, and fair.
- Talent to communicate throughout all customer and Timken organizational levels effectively and accurately.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field
- Minimum three years market experience in mobile equipment and heavy industries such as metals and power generation.
- Strong understanding of the Aerospace & Defense industry and Government Defense programs and contracting experience is preferred.
- Minimum of seven years of experience in customer business management, program management, sales & marketing or strategic partnering, preferably in an Aerospace environment
Pay range : $75K to $132K
All qualified applicants shall be treated equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There will be no discrimination due to gender or gender identity, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran/military status or any other basis protected by applicable law.